The top products and outstanding individuals in the toy industry were honoured last night at the annual Toy of the Year Awards and Toy Industry Hall of Fame induction ceremony, hosted by the Toy Industry Association (TIA) at The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York City.
LEGO scooped the top award, with its LEGO Friends Amusement Park Roller Coaster taking the prestigious Toy of the Year award. Meanwhile, Pop! from Funko LLC took home the coveted People's Choice award, winning the most votes from consumers.
See below for the full list of winners:
- Action Figure of the Year: DC Super Hero Girls Action Figure Assortment from Mattel, Inc.
- Active/Outdoor Toy of the Year: Bunch O Balloons from Zuru
- Activity Toy of the Year: Crayola Air Marker Sprayer from Crayola, LLC
- Collectible of the Year: Pop! from Funko, LLC
- Construction Toy of the Year: LEGO Friends Amusement Park Roller Coaster from LEGO Systems, Inc.
- Doll of the Year: Barbie Fashionista Doll from Mattel, Inc.
- Game of the Year: Yeti in My Spaghetti from PlayMonster!
- Infant/Preschool Toy of the Year: Doc McStuffins Toy Hospital Care Cart from Just Play
- Innovative Toy of the Year: Hatchimals from Spin Master Ltd.
- License of the Year: Paw Patrol from Spin Master Ltd.
- Rookie of the Year: 3DoodlerStart Essentials Pen Set from WobbleWorks
- Specialty Toy of the Year: LEGO Disney Castle from LEGO Systems, Inc.
- Tech Toy of the Year: CodeGamer from Thames & Kosmos
- Vehicle of the Year: Air Hogs Star Wars X-Wing vs. Death Star - Rebel Assault from Spin Master Ltd.
"This year's TOTY winners truly run the gamut, from quirky collectibles and skill-building construction toys, to family games and educational tech toys, but there is one thing they all have in common: they bring fun, laughter, and learning to kids," said Steve Pasierb, TIA president and CEO.
"Honouring the best and brightest toys and industry luminaries is a great tradition for TIA and the entire toy and play community. We congratulate this year's TOTY finalists, an exceptional collection of TOTY winners, and our esteemed Hall of Fame inductees, and thank them for bringing memorable play experiences to families worldwide."
During the ceremony, three industry greats were inducted into the esteemed Toy Industry Hall of Fame: Peter Eio, former president of LEGO Systems, Inc., the late Ray Larsen, founder of RLA Marketing, and the late Sydney Rosen, former chairman of Rose-Art Industries.
They join a wide roster of 71 toy industry luminaries, including Jim Henson and George Lucas, who have been inducted into the Hall since it was established in 1984.