The draw has taken place for the 12 registered teams and routes announced. The event will be a Gladiatorial event following the route of the Roman Legions around England and will take place on Saturday May 16th 2009.
Organiser, The Toy Trust, is looking for a further 12 sponsors who will guarantee £5,000 per leg and will organise a team or teams to take part in their section.
Each section is around 60 miles and the route has so far been allocated as follows:
- Sevenoaks to Colchester – HIT Entertainment
- Colchester to Ely
- Ely to Sleaford - Zapf Creation
- Sleaford via Lincoln to Barton upon Humber - GMTV
- BUH via York to Harrogate
- Harrogate to Cheadle
- Cheadle via Chester to Wrexham
- Wrexham to Ludlow
- Ludlow to Stroud - Hasbro
- Stroud via Bath to Shaftesbury – RC2
- Shaftsbury to Alton – Vivid Imaginations
- Alton to Sevenoaks – Tomy
And the route will then be reversed:
- Sevenoaks to Alton – Flair
- Alton to Shaftesbury – Mattel
- Shaftesbury via Bath to Stroud – Disney
- Stroud to Ludlow – BBC
- Ludlow to Wrexham
- Wrexham via Chester to Cheadle – Lego (sponsor only)
- Cheadle to Harrogate – Bandai (sponsor only)
- Harrogate via York to Barton upon Humber – Character Group
- Barton upon Humber via Lincoln to Sleaford
- Sleaford to Ely
- Ely to Colchester
- Colchester to Sevenoaks
As in previous years, the event will have a social element to it and teams will each start from a point where another team will be going in the other direction. Teams will also meet halfway with another team coming in the other direction and at the finish meet a team coming the other way.
Each team will be responsible for their own support vehicle and transport. Although a route will be supplied each team can arrange their own route to suit the riders as long as they complete the distance between the start and finish points.
Each team will receive a full sponsor pack including routes, hire company details for support vehicles, tips on how to prepare for the day, methods of sponsorship and details of how to register at the Just Giving Web site.
A meeting will be held at the Excel Toy Fair on Saturday January 31st morning 10.00am so that any questions can be answered and to introduce the teams.
Companies wishing to take part should contact Toy Trust Chairman, Robert Mann directly to be added to the list.
Any individual rider or companies unable to raise the minimum sponsorship but still wishing to take part can enter into the Bandai or Lego sections, who will not be entering a team but have sponsored a section. Anyone wishing to ride in these sections will have to organise their own ride and support.