Christmas sales growth was actually down on the previous year increasing by only four per cent compared to seven per cent the year before. Much of the annual growth came from the supermarket sector which contributed an increase of 16 per cent year on year.
Licensed product was once again the main driver for growth with Dr Who and Disney/Pixar’s Cars among the top ten products for 2006. Innovation was also key with the electronics category the fastest growing area.
According to NPD’s UK director Frederique Tutt said: “This strong growth highlights the dynamism of the British economy and is expected to be one of the best results for toys in Europe. Unlike 2004 and 2005, sales were strong every month over the last quarter of the year and December also faired well with a four per cent growth year on year.”
Top Ten Best Sellers 2006
1. Tamagotchi Connexion (Bandai)
2. V.Smile (VTech)
3. Dr Who figures (Character Options)
4. Baby Annabell (Zapf Creations)
5. Dr Who R/C Dalek (Character Options)
6. V.Smile software (VTech)
7. Bratz 4Ever Diamondz (MGA/Vivid)
8. Hot Wheel Asst. (Mattel)
9. Baby Born (Zapf Creation)
10. Power Rangers SPD Sound Figures (Bandai)