Parents and consumers are being warned to check ‘fur on stick’ or ‘happy stick’ toys carefully before buying them.
Trading Standards in Fife has issued a safety warning about the toys – which are made up of a strip of fur fabric attached to a plastic stick – after a large quantity of the goods were seized. The organisation says the toys could be dangerous to small children.
Tests on the ‘fur on stick’ toys confiscated from a mobile street trader proved they do not meet safety regulations.
Parents should check to ensure the toys do not contain sharp points or wires, as well as long ribbons or cords, that could present a choking hazard.
“All toys supplied in the UK must comply with safety regulations,” said Trading Standards Fife’s service manager Geoff Bates.
“This includes meeting relevant safety standards, bearing a CE marking and name/address details of the manufacturer or importer, and displaying appropriate warnings such as age restriction or suitability.”
Want to receive up to the minute toy industry news straight to your inbox? Click here to sign up for the free ToyNews Daily Digest and Newsflash services. You can also follow ToyNews on Twitter and Facebook.