The criteria for judging will be based on the Science Museum’s mission and its unique approach used to develop its famous interactive gallery exhibits, and to select products for the Science Museum Store and own branded range.
Entrants can submit a maximum of one new product, aimed at children between 6-14 years, in any one of the following categories:
- SMart Play – open to new toys and play items which do more than just keep boredom at bay
- SMart Game – open to any new board game, card game or electronic game etc
- SMart Puzzle – open to brainteasers, puzzles, jigsaws, logic problems, geometric shapes for the brain to solve
- SMart Kit – open to any kind of equipment or kit for science, construction, building and more
- SMart Gadget – open to quirky and clever mechanical or electronic devices for kids that love their gadgets
Science Museum licensees will also be eligible to enter products in the following category:
- Our SMart Product – open to products from the Science Museum’s licensed range of products
The panel of judges will include a representative from the Science Museum’s education and learning department, a variety of science experts and media personalities and children.
All entries must be compatible with the Museum’s aim to encourage learning through interaction and play. Products entered will be judged on criteria such as first impressions, playability, ability to inspire and encourage questioning, link to social development, etc.
There must also be some link to the Museum’s core mission to inspire about the past, present and future of humanity ingenuity or science, technology or innovation.
There must also be some link to science, technology or innovation. Products do not have to relate directly to core disciplines of biology, physics and chemistry, but can also extend to a myriad of themes such as colour, shape, sound, building, aircraft, medicine and maths.
Winning entries will be announced to the media in October 2006 as part of an extensive PR campaign to raise awareness of the awards. Successful products will also be recommended by the Science Museum to its visitors as good buys.
To enter, or to find full details of the awards, download an entry form from the Science Museum website: www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/toyoftheyear