Mothercare goes for Chinese

Mothercare has announced plans to move into China.
Author:
Publish date:
Social count:
0
5_Pocoyo.jpg

The retailer has signed a joint venture agreement with Goodbaby, a manufacturer of childcare products, to open three stores in Beijing and Shanghai next year.

The chain has more than 300 franchise stores in 39 countries, which account for one-third of group sales and more than 25 per cent of its profits.

"There are very few differences around the world for people preparing for the arrival of a baby," said Ben Gordon, chief executive of Mothercare.

The deal with Goodbaby will be give Mothercare 30 per cent of the equity with the remaining 70 per cent owned by Goodbaby.

Mothercare aims to build a presence across the Chinese mainland. In the longer term it may also take the Early Learning Centre brand there too.

The move into Chinese retailing comes after the firm opened a new Shanghai sourcing office.

Related

5_Pocoyo.jpg

Chinese to sue Mattel?

Reports from China say that the government of Guangdong Province may help local manufacturers file a lawsuit against Mattel.

Featured Jobs

Vivid Job Logo 620 x 349

Digital Marketing Executive - Toys & Games

Vivid is Britain’s biggest toy company and the 20 largest in the world. With offices across the globe, they sell an amazing portfolio of toys and games to over 60 countries. Vivid is best known for its association with blockbuster brands and is very excited about future opportunities around the world.

Liberty

UK Sales Agents

Liberty House Toys have been appointed as the exclusive UK distributor for the BiOBUDDi brand, and we are pleased to introduce this new unique, innovative and exciting range of 100% environmentally-friendly toy building blocks. We are seeking experienced sales agents with existing network in the toy retail market.

Gameplan Job Logo 620 x 349

Head of Product Development & Marketing

Our client is a privately owned French toy and games manufacturer which sells through distributors in forty countries. The company develops and sells innovative electronic interactive toys and games for the educational and gaming markets, and also takes suitable licenses. To progress its successful business development a Head of Product Development & Marketing is to to recruited.

HIT Entertainment Job Logo 620 x 349

Licensing Systems Administrator

The Contract System Coordinator is a newly created role to support the deal term entry process into Mattel’s new Contract Management System for its Licensing business. The role will support the Business Teams at the Deal & Amendment phase of the contracting process and act in conjunction with the System Administration team.