Quality solutions provider Intertek has teamed up with the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents to detail its top tips for a safe Halloween.
The firm states that some people aren't aware of the potential dangers of ill-fitting costumes, untested masks, unattended pumpkin candles and market stall accessories when anywhere near naked flames.
'All children's Halloween costumes, masks and wigs must carry a CE mark, which means they comply with the European Toy Safety Directive and should they catch alight, the rate of burning is slow,' read a statement from Intertek.
"Halloween trick and treating gets more popular year by year," said Rob van Dorp, chief executive UK & Eire for Intertek.
"At Intertek we want people to know that there are standards in place to protect the quality and safety of clothing – people need to check and make sure the products they buy comply."
Sheila Merrill, public health adviser at RoSPA, added: "We want those marking Halloween to have a good time, and taking a few minutes to think about safety in advance, particularly about how to keep candles and costumes safe, could save an unexpected and unwanted trip to A&E."
Intertek and RoSPA's top tips for a safe Halloween are as follows:
- Buy your costumes from a reputable retailer: well-fitted costumes with a CE mark will drastically reduce chances of severe burns or slips and trips.
- Be aware that Halloween costumes are usually dark. Attaching a reflective strip will allow a costume to be seen by drivers in the dark.
- Each child and adult should have their own light source. A flashlight or glow stick will help deter trips and falls over uneven surfaces, curbs and pavements.
- Don't get too close to sources of ignition, including cigarettes.
- Don't let young children carry pumpkins with lit candles. Be aware of molten, liquid wax in candles. Tealights especially do not have large wax reservoirs and their metal casing can become very hot.
- Remember to extinguish all candles if they are to be left unattended.
- Follow the Firework Code.
- Remove any Halloween make-up or fake blood immediately if itching occurs. It could be the first indication of an allergic reaction to something within the cosmetic.
- Remind children of how to cross roads safely before leaving home.
- Accompany your children when they go trick or treating.