12 UK school children are heading to the live Grand Final of the first ever Bananagrams Challenge in London this Saturday.
The 12 beat 15,000 other primary school children to a place in the final and will now compete to be crowned the first ever ‘Top Banana' at London's Magic Circle.
The finalists, who range in age from nine to 11 years, will compete against each other in rounds of Bananagrams before the overall winner is presented with a specially-designed trophy and £500 for their school by Rena Nathanson, inventor of the game, who’ll also take part in a live Q&A session with the children.
The final will be hosted by Deej Johnson, author of the Collins Little Book of Bananagrams, who willalso present all finalists with an exclusive Bananagrams goody bag.
“I’m delighted that the Challenge has proved so popular and I’m really excited about meeting the finalists on March 21st,” said Rena Nathanson, Bananagrams’ CEO.
“The Bananagrams Challenge is the result of years of hard work and is something my father and I talked about when we first invented the game back in 2006.
"Part of the reason Bananagrams was born was out of a desire to help kids play with words, which ultimately enhances their appreciation of language and their grasp of spelling and literacy. But more than that, the game is about having fun – and there’s going to be a lot of that at the Grand Final.”
The complete list of finalists is:
- Olivia Howarth, 10, Blisworth Primary School, Northampton
- Timothy Lee, 10, Hampton Hill Junior School, Middlesex
- Ellie Wooldridge, 11, Monkspath School, Solihull
- Louis Webber, 10, Woodside Junior School, Amersham
- Molly Gray, 10, Grammar School at Leeds, Leeds
- Safwaan Ramzan, 11, Brudenell Primary School, Leeds
- Elizabeth Sparling, 10, Great Bentley Primary School, Essex
- Pranav Kesavan, 10, Holtsmere End Junior School, Hemel Hempstead
- Sophie Wilkinson, 9, Waddington & West Bradford E.E. Primary School, Clitheroe
- Harshil Gadikoppula, 11, Brentwood Prep School, Essex
- Amy Oldfield, 10, Prince’s Mead School, Winchester
- Jesse Sachet-Dufraisse, 10, St Anselms, Tooting
Visit www.bananagramschallenge.co.uk for further information about The Bananagrams Challenge.
Schools interested in taking part in the 2016 Challenge can also now register via the website.