According to NPD the market has grown seven per cent since the beginning of October. Unlike previous years, which saw depressed sales in October and November, 2006 is proving strong with the UK outperforming every other country in Europe last month.
One theory is that UK-only concepts such as Doctor Who, Deal or No Deal or even Disney-Pixar movie Cars (much more successful here than in other European territories) are making the difference. Another key trend from the peak season is that high-tech products are once again popular, with smart chips enhancing the play value.
With three more Saturdays to go – or about 15 per cent of the year – look out for further updates from ToyNews on how sales are progressing.
Top Ten Items for week 47 (NPD)
1. V.smile console (Vtech)
2. Baby Annabell (Zapf Creation)
3. Bratz Forever Diamondz dolls (Vivid)
4. Deal or No Deal Game (Drumond Park)
5. Baby Born Magic Eyes (Zapf Creation)
6. Tamagotchi Connexion (Bandai)
7. 20Q (Radica)
8. Dr Who R/C Dalek (Character)
9. Pixel Chix Duplex House (Mattel)
10. V.smile software (Vtech)