Bandai swoops for Namco

A new Japanese toys and games powerhouse has been created, with Bandai acquiring video game firm Namco in a deal worth some $1.6bn.
Author:
Publish date:
Social count:
0
5_Pocoyo.jpg

A new Japanese toys and games powerhouse has been created, with Bandai acquiring video game firm Namco in a deal worth some $1.6bn.

The merger of Bandai ? best known for its Power Rangers toys ? and video games veteran Namco will create Japan?s second largest toy and games business after Sega Sammy Holdings. The deal marries Bandai?s strength in IP with Namco?s technological prowess

?Amid severe market conditions we decided a merger was the best way to focus our resources in an effort to boost corporate value, expand our business and come out top of the competition,? the two companies said in a joint statement.

The two firms will form a holding company on September 29th in which Bandai will hold a 57 per cent stake and Namco the remaining 43 per cent.

Related

5_Pocoyo.jpg

Bandai catches Bubble

Bright Things? kids? games console, Bubble, took another important step towards launch this week, as the firm revealed it has secured a UK distribution deal with Bandai...

5_Pocoyo.jpg

Boyers steps up at Bandai

Long serving sales director, Julian Boyers has been promoted to Managing Director of Bandai UK with immediate effect, replacing Shusuke Takahara.

5_Pocoyo.jpg

Vtech and Bandai shine at TRA Awards

Vtech and Bandai were the big winners at last night’s Toy Retailer Association Awards, scooping the top two accolades, Toy Supplier of the Year and Toy of the Year 2005 respectively.

Featured Jobs

Vivid Job Logo 620 x 349

Digital Marketing Executive - Toys & Games

Vivid is Britain’s biggest toy company and the 20 largest in the world. With offices across the globe, they sell an amazing portfolio of toys and games to over 60 countries. Vivid is best known for its association with blockbuster brands and is very excited about future opportunities around the world.

Liberty

UK Sales Agents

Liberty House Toys have been appointed as the exclusive UK distributor for the BiOBUDDi brand, and we are pleased to introduce this new unique, innovative and exciting range of 100% environmentally-friendly toy building blocks. We are seeking experienced sales agents with existing network in the toy retail market.

Gameplan Job Logo 620 x 349

Head of Product Development & Marketing

Our client is a privately owned French toy and games manufacturer which sells through distributors in forty countries. The company develops and sells innovative electronic interactive toys and games for the educational and gaming markets, and also takes suitable licenses. To progress its successful business development a Head of Product Development & Marketing is to to recruited.

HIT Entertainment Job Logo 620 x 349

Licensing Systems Administrator

The Contract System Coordinator is a newly created role to support the deal term entry process into Mattel’s new Contract Management System for its Licensing business. The role will support the Business Teams at the Deal & Amendment phase of the contracting process and act in conjunction with the System Administration team.