An EU-wide warning has been issued over a children’s toy feared to contain dangerously high levels of arsenic.
The ‘Magnetic Putty’ toy has been banned from sale by Northamptonshire Trading Standards who found it to have seven times the permitted amount of arsenic.
Amazon, eBay and Groupon have all removed the toy, which bares no manufacturer of importer identification from sale.
Last week, a schoolgirl reportedly had ten times the safe limit of arsenic in her system after playing with the toy.
NTS discovered the toy on a market stall in the country and, as well as a high level of the poison, the included magnet was found to be 29 times over the allowed magnetic force and could be easily swallowed.
NTS only banned this one particular type of magnetic putty, which did not include a CE mark to show it complied with the essential safety requirement for toys and also had twice the permitted amount of lead.
The organisation has been unable to confirm the supply chain of the putty because of a lack of traceability.
According to the European Union’s Rapid Alert System website for consumer products, the distributor has been ordered to withdraw the product from market.
“Arsenic is toxic and exposure to lead is harmful for human health and can cause developmental neurotoxicity,’ read the site’s warning.
‘If a child swallows this small magnet and other metallic objects, they could attract one another causing intestinal blockage or perforation.”