Having received no fewer than 12 finalist nominations in the Toy Association’s 2020 Toy of the Year Awards, Mattel has put its 2019 success down to ‘pushing boundaries with the experiences it brings to the market.’
Barbie, Fisher-Price, Hot Wheels and Jurassic World have been named among the Mattel brands to make the shortlist for the upcoming industry awards, joined by the newly launched Creatable World toy line, a range of gender inclusive dolls for boys and girls.
The full list of Mattel TOTY finalists includes:
- Barbie – License of the Year
- Creatable World – Doll of the Year
- Disney Pixar Toy Story Basic Figures – Action Figure of the Year
- Fisher-Price Linkimals – Infant/Toddler Toy of the Year
- Fisher-Price Wonder Makers Design System Build Around Town Starter Kit – Construction Toy of the Year
- Hot Wheels TechMods – Innovative Toy of the Year
- Hot Wheels id Smart Track Kit – Innovative Toy of the Year
- Hot Wheels Colossal Crash Track Set – Playset of the Year
- Hot Wheels Mario Kart Die-Cast Vehicle Assortment – Vehicle of the Year
- Jurassic World Destroy ‘N Devour Indominus Rex – Action Figure of the Year
- Pictionary Air – Game of the Year
- UNO Braille – Game of the Year
“Mattel continues to push the boundaries with the toys and experiences we bring to market, in ways only our iconic brands can,” said Steve Totzke, chief commercial officer of Mattel. “Topping the TOTY finalist list is a testament to the innovation across our core brands, strong licensed partnerships and introduction of groundbreaking new offerings, such as Creatable World.
“We are proud to be recognised by our industry peers and look forward to celebrating in February with all of our partners and retailers at the TOTY awards.”
Administered by The Toy Association, TOTY Awards are presented annually to the top toys, games, and properties of the year. The awards program supports the philanthropic work of The Toy Foundation, which delivers new toys to children in need.
Winners in each category will be announced at the TOTY Awards gala on Friday, Feb. 21, 2020 at the Ziegfeld Ballroom in New York City. The celebration will kick off Toy Fair New York beginning Saturday, Feb. 22, 2020.
Each winner is selected by a nomination committee comprised of 20 industry experts. Members of the nomination committee represent a cross-section of retail buyers, journalists, bloggers, trade media spokespersons, academics, and inventors/designers.