Have you sneakily been collecting 300M when you pass Go? Has getting a round of tea helped you get out of jail? What exactly do you use Free Parking for?
Well now, Monopoly fans have the chance to make their own House Rules a reality.
Starting today through to April 3rd, the Monopoly Facebook page is hosting the Great Monopoly House Rules Debate.
Hasbro has crowdsourced ten House Rules that fans can now debate the value of, with Mr Monopoly acting as moderator.
The House Rules up for debate are:
- Free Parking, Fast Cash: All taxes and fees will be collected in the middle of the game board, if you land on Free Parking, it’s your lucky day: collect all the money from the middle of the board.
- Dash for the Cash: Landed on Go! Amazing, you get to double your salary – 400M instead of 200M.
- Frozen Assets Rule: When in jail, a player cannot collect any rent money from other players. Sorry about your luck.
- Lucky Roller: Did you just Roll Snake Eyes (double one’s)… odds are in your favor, collect 500M.
- 3’s a Crowd: Are there 3 players in a row on 3 unique properties? Well done, each player gets an extra 500M.
- Cash Advance: Don’t have enough to buy Mayfair? With this House Rule, players can make loans between each other to co-own properties. Who collects rent money? That’s determined amongst the new property owners!
- Break The Bank: At the start of the game, leave half the money in the bank. Then mix up the other half of the money in the center of a board. On the count of 3 every player grabs what they can! Free For All!
- Mum’s the Word: Mum always gets out of jail free. Always. No questions asked. She’s just that special.
- See the Sights: Players must travel around the board one complete time before they can begin buying properties. Hurry up and get to GO before everyone else!
- Property Boom: Anxious to begin building? We hear you- with this rule, players do not have to own a complete set of properties before they start to build houses.
As a result of the debate, Hasbro will identify the top House Rules and incorporate them into the Monopoly: House Rules Edition game available this autumn.
The chosen rules will also be included in the classic Monopoly game guide in 2015.
“The Monopoly brand has been a pop culture phenomenon for nearly 80 years and House Rules have become an important part of the story of the brand,” said Jonathan Berkowitz, vice president of marketing at Hasbro.
“We know Monopoly fans have been using House Rules for generations to make the game their own, so we wanted to give them the chance to help us identify the most popular House Rules from around the world to incorporate into the game.”
The Monopoly: House Rules edition will be available in the UK this autumn and will include special golden-coloured houses and cards that highlight the top House Rules.